H. "Rooty Tooty" (Pickles, 2011)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happy New Year - 2011

I can't believe that it has been so long since I posted, but time has flown. Everything was impacted as we sold the house in Nashville and moved "to the country". Ceilings are still being painted and boxes unpacked as I write this, but at least my office is functional and I'm getting excited about the upcoming gardening year. Many of your yards may look like the picture at the right now, but underneath that white covering are daylilies just waiting for warmer weather. 
 My apologies should first go to Janice Wood who sent me an e-mail back in September just as I was preparing to move.  In her e-mail she asked for any information and/or pictures regarding the below Region 10 hybridizers and their DSL introductions.  The hybridizers that she mentioned were:

Joanne Johnston- Nashville TN
Martha Lamkin- Louisville KY
Ellen (Mrs J) Alexander- Lexington KY
James McGaughy- Memphis TN
Catherine (Mrs Robert) Walsh- Lexington KY
Mrs. Frank Lucas- Owensboro, KY
John Bedel- Ft Wright KY

If anyone has information that may help Janice, please forward to her at simonsaid4me@aol.com.
 Locally, MTDS has been busy putting together a calendar of events for the coming year that will keep old members interested and attract new members too, just as other clubs across Region 10 are also doing. I would like to remind everyone that the 21st  Annual Mid-Winter Symposium is only 2 weeks away - January 21-23, 2011 at the Hotel Preston in Nashville.  Nationally known hybridizers will be making presentations as well as other well qualified horticulturists and speakers.  One particular speaker that Nancy Ligon and I sought was Randall Lantz, Superintendent of Horticulture for the Metro Nashville Parks & Recreation.  Randall spoke to our local club several years ago and members are still talking about how enjoyable his presentation was. He has over 30 years experience in horticulture, having worked at the Tennessee Botanical Gardens at Cheekwood as Chief Horticulturist for over 15 years before accepting his current position with the city of Nashville. His topic will touch on the use of daylilies in landscaping in the city parks as well as other horticultural topics.  If you want to know about current trends in horticulture, Randall's presentation is one that you won't want to miss.
Another exciting feature of MWS this year will be the introduction of a new enhancement of the AHS website - a member's only portal.  I have volunteered to be the Region 10 Group Leader for this exciting development and have already been able to view some of the features.  I think everyone is going to be excited when they see what this is going to offer to members as an added benefit of belonging to AHS. That's about all for now - the day is not over and I still want to start a few daylily seed from my amateur hybridizing efforts of last summer.  See everyone at the MWS !!

No comments:

Post a Comment